Apply for the GI Bill®

Listed below are the various steps you must take to apply for the GI Bill based on your academic standing.

New Students

New students who have not used their GI Bill benefits before will need to:

  • Step 1:
  • Step 2: Submit your Certificate of Eligibility to the School Certifying Official at ̳
  • Step 3: Complete the

Transfer Students

Students transferring to ̳ from a different institution will need to:

  • Step 1: with the VA
  • Step 2: Submit your Certificate of Eligibility to the School Certifying Official at ̳
  • Step 3: Complete the

Continuing or Returning Students

Continuing or returning students must complete to be certified by the SCO for fall and spring enrollments. The student must notify the SCO of any changes in registration or major. If a student wishes to stop using their benefits, they must notify the SCO.

GI Bill Information

Who is Eligible? If you are currently in service, you may be eligible after two years of active duty. Please consult with the Education Services Officer at your installation or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (442-4551) for information about your eligibility.

If you are separated from service, you may be an eligible Veteran if you:

  • entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985;
  • received a high school diploma or equivalent (or, in some cases, 12 hours of college credit) before the end of your first obligated period of service;
  • received an honorable discharge;
  • continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you have an obligation to serve for four years in the Selected Reserve AND entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty.

Note: Different rules apply if you entered active duty before July 1, 1985, and in certain other cases.

Are There Any Pitfalls? You should be aware that the following pitfalls could cause you to lose all MGIB benefits:

  • General Discharge – You must have an honorable discharge to be eligible for education benefits. A “general” or “under honorable condition” makes you ineligible for education benefits.
  • Early Discharge - To be eligible with an early discharge, your separation reason must meet certain requirements. Call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (442-4551) (or if you are on active duty, check with your Education Services Officer) for more information.

How Much Does Federal U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) Pay? The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if DoD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called "kickers"). Typically, you have ten years to use your MGIB benefits. Check out the USDVA site for .

For details on eligibility and more information on how to apply:

is a program to assist eligible Veterans in achieving maximum independence in their daily life and aid them in becoming a contributing part of society. Federal U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) will pay required training costs, such as tuition and fees, books, supplies, equipment, and if needed, special services. While you are in training, USDVA will also pay you a monthly benefit to help with living expenses called a subsistence allowance.

Note: If using Chap 33 Post 9/11 and thinking about using Vocational Rehab, do not exhaust the Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits completely before applying for Vocational Rehab. If you have some Post 9/11 GI Bill® eligibility remaining you can transition into Vocational Rehab and continue the BAH rate up to the 48 months. However, if the Post 9/11 GI Bill® is exhausted you would have to go with the Vocational Rehab stipend instead.

Application assistance for the VR&E can be obtained from your County Veteran Service Officer (CVSO). You can find your CVSO through the or by calling the Veterans Linkage Line (LinkVet) at 888-546-5838. If you are not from Minnesota you can find your CVSO at the .

The Post-Vietnam VEAP is an education benefit for Veterans who paid into VEAP while they were in the service. Eligible Veterans may be entitled to as much as 36 months of training. Eligibility usually ends 10 years after getting out of the service, but the time limit can be longer in certain cases.

Eligible Veterans may pursue any of the following types of training:

  • College or university programs
  • Business, technical or vocational training
  • On-the-job training and apprenticeship programs
  • Remedial, deficiency, and refresher training (in some cases)
  • National tests
  • Correspondence courses
  • Flight training (in some cases)
  • High school diploma or equivalent
  • The cost of tests for licenses or certifications needed to get, keep, or advance a job

The Forever GI Bill has been signed into law and involves many upcoming changes. Some changes are immediate, but many will be . Please visit the VA's Forever GI Bill website for detailed and up-to-date information.

The provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to dependents.

The application form for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) is available online through the . Once completed, the Federal U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (USDVA) will process your application for Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits and you will receive a letter explaining USDVA's decision regarding your eligibility for the program. On average it will take 6-10 weeks for your application to be processed.

The decision to use the Post-9/11 GI Bill requires Service Members with eligibility under other GI Bill® Chapters (1606/30) to give up eligibility under ONE of those previous benefits. As this decision is irrevocable, we strongly recommend visiting a to discuss potential options and assistance in making an informed decision.

̳ is a member of the Yellow Ribbon Program, which is one way we help you cover tuition costs.

Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipients who are entitled to the maximum Chapter 33 benefit rate (100%) are eligible to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program at ̳. The program is for undergraduate students.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) will provide each Chapter 33 benefit recipient with a tuition and fee benefit up to a certain amount set by the VA. The full rate for a private institution of higher learning can be found . ̳ will provide funding up to a maximum annual benefit to its Yellow Ribbon recipients, which may not exceed 50% of the remaining tuition and fee charges. The VA will match the contribution made by ̳. Total funding from all sources provided to Yellow Ribbon recipients may, but is not guaranteed to cover, the recipient's full tuition and fees at ̳. Yellow Ribbon funding, with its corresponding match from the VA, replaces any previously awarded institutional grants and/or scholarships. Also, the college's participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program will be re-evaluated annually.

Dependents' Educational Assistance is an education benefit for the spouses and children of certain Veterans. Eligible persons can receive up to 45 months of benefits. You may be eligible if the Veteran is found by the Federal U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) to be totally and permanently disabled from a service-related disability, OR died because of a service-related disability and you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You are married to the Veteran
  • You are the deceased Veteran's surviving spouse and you haven't remarried
  • You are the Veteran's child and you're at least 18 years old.

Eligible persons can receive up to 45 months of full-time or equivalent benefits for:

  • College, Business, Technical or Vocational Courses, High School Diploma or GED, Independent Study or Distance Learning courses
  • Correspondence Courses (Spouses Only), Apprenticeship/On-the-Job Training
  • Remedial, Deficiency, and Refresher Training (in some cases)
  • The cost of tests for licenses or certifications needed to get, keep, or advance in a job

Note: Individuals that qualify for Chapter 35 may qualify also for

Family members eligible for both Chapter 35 and the must elect which benefit to receive.

How Can You Apply?

After finding a program approved for USDVA training, complete VA Form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance), and submit it to the USDVA regional office that serves the state where you will train. You can also apply online at .

For assistance with determining eligibility and applying for DEA you may contact a . If you have questions about other benefits and programs you may be eligible to receive, please contact your County Veterans Service Officer (CVSO). You can find your CVSO through or by calling the Veterans Linkage Line at 1-888-LinkVet (546-5838).

The MGIB-SR is an education benefit program that provides up to 36 months of eligibility to members of the Selected Reserve. The program includes Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves, as well as Army and the Air National Guard. This program does not require active duty service in the regular Armed Forces to qualify. An eligible reservist may get education benefits while in an approved program from Federal U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (USDVA) training.

Who is Eligible?

Eligible Reservist or National Guard member qualifications:

  • After June 30, 1985, a signed six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve, AND
  • completion of Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT), AND
  • high school diploma or GED completed before IADT, AND
  • good standing in a drilling Selected Reserve unit

Eligibility for members in the Selected Reserves generally end 10 years from the date of program eligibility if attained prior to October 1, 1992. If eligibility was attained after 1 October 1992 benefits remain in effect as long as the Soldier remains in an active duty drilling status. Medical discharges remain under the 10- or 14-year delimiting date.

The EIOM 15-004 policy updates the previous MGIB-SR Policy (NGB-ARM Policy Number 07-10) and incorporates changes directed per DoDI 1322.17, dated 15 January 2015.

A summary of the changes this policy provides is listed below:

  1. Eliminates separate eligibility requirements for Soldiers entering under the Civilian Acquired Skills Program and combines eligibility criteria for Non-Prior Service (NPS) enlistees, Prior Service (PS) accessions, and Officers (paragraph 7).
  2. Removes the requirement to have a High School Diploma or equivalent prior to completion of IADT (paragraph 7).
  3. Updates the Eligibility Start Date calculation for Prior Service Soldiers to match all Soldier categories (paragraph 8).
  4. Revises MGIB-SR eligibility upon receipt of a Dedicated Guard (Title 10 USC Section 2107) ROTC scholarship (paragraph 3e of Enclosure 1).
  5. Extends the time limit for extensions (when required) to 12 months when a SM reaffiliates after an authorized break in service (paragraph 4 of Enclosure 1).
  6. Prohibits the use of Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) and the MGIB-SR for the same course per DoDI 1322.25 (paragraph 12b).
  7. Eliminates concurrent eligibility for MGIB-SR and Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) or Post-9/11 GI Bill® (paragraph 13).

Note: Officers in the Selected Reserve OR active duty members from the Selected Reserve after November 29, 1989, call your or the toll-free USDVA education number 1-888-GIBILL-1 (442-4551) for additional eligibility requirements.

Additional information:

Additional Military Benefits

Students using FTA benefits must have their request for FTA completed at least one week prior to the start of the semester. 

The (FTA) program pays the cost of tuition and some additional fees. Nearly all Active Duty, Reserve or Guard members are eligible for FTA. However, each service branch determines eligibility criteria that often reduce access. FTA covers up to 100% of tuition and fees, not to exceed $250 per semester credit hour or $4,000 per fiscal year, with a maximum of 16 credits. 

All active-duty service members (including Guard and Reserve) must contact their Education Service Officer or Education Counselor within your branch of service prior to enrolling in any college or university. 

By Minnesota Statute, regardless of the school you are attending, the Minnesota STR will pay for 100 percent of your tuition (not including student fees) up to the undergraduate rate at the with a maximum yearly benefit of $17,000 per fiscal year (1 July – 30 June), or $36,000 per fiscal year for graduate level programs. You are eligible for 144 semester or 208 quarter credits.

This benefit may be used in conjunction with other educational benefits. STR is also available to members of the Minnesota Army National Guard and Minnesota Air National Guard. Visit for eligibility and application information.

To receive STR you must fill out the .

To initiate the process, connect with the Service Member’s Unit.

If you have additional questions you may contact the .


Campus Resources

Sarah Davis is the School Certifying Official for ̳ and is located in the Registrar’s Office in Lorentzsen Hall. As the School Certifying Official, Sarah assists students who receive military benefits by answering their questions and certifying their enrollment each semester. If you have questions about your military benefits, you can reach Sarah at 218.299.4724 or sdavis9@cord.edu.

Aaron Johnson is the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs northwest regional coordinator. He is located at nearby Minnesota State University-Moorhead and can be reached at 218.329.6040 or aaron.johnson@state.mn.us. You can also find your military transcript, information on benefits, and much more on the website.

For assistance involving how military benefits fit into your financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 218.299.3010 or finaid@cord.edu

Prospective students should also reach out to their Education Service Officer (ESO), military counselor, or service prior to enrollment to discuss military tuition assistance.  If you need help determining who your ESO or military counselor is, please contact Aaron Johnson at 218.329.6040 or aaron.johnson@state.mn.us .

̳’s Business Office provides a variety of services and information to assist students and employees with financial matters. 

If you have questions about your military benefit credit, please contact Larry Rock, director of Student Loan Repayment at 218.299.3150 or larock@cord.edu.

The Center for Student Success helps ̳ students define and reach their academic goals. Whether adjusting to the rigors of college academics or trying to get the most out of the academic experience, the Center for Student Success can help students be at their best. Professional staff members provide education and support on a variety of topics including learning strategies, time management, and test preparation.

The Center for Student Success also has a variety of tutoring options. Peer tutors provide tutoring for many courses. Writing tutors are also available in the Center for Student Success for assistance with academic writing.

The Center for Student Success is located in the upper level of the Normandy Center. The Center for Student Success can be reached at 218.299.4551 or success@cord.edu to learn more or schedule an appointment.

Army ROTC students complete an elective curriculum in addition to their required college classes. In addition to being a great leadership experience, Army ROTC can provide monetary benefits for students. 

Visit for more information.


Office of ̳

Welcome Center